Sunday, November 7, 2010

11/04/2010 book blog post pgs1-50

I guess to begin this entry I will start with the section of Intrigue with Tiny Creatures.  When I take photos, I more than often catch myself taking pictures of things such as leaves, plants, bugs and such close up and otherwise known as micro shots.  According to the book, you cannot make frame filling records of subjects with plain standard lenses.  It says that you must buy special close-up adapters that are either specially designed for the type of shooting, or macro lenses.  Accessories that they mention include items such as screw on supplementary filters which work just like magnifying glasses.
 This is useful to me for future use if I ever intend on really focusing more on macro shots and wanting them to come out with extra quality and they recommend two-element supplementary lenses for the purpose of quality.  Another accessory that the book mentions and are somewhat inexpensive and are available in many stackable sizes are hollow tubes called extension tubes.  The next section in the first fifty pages that I find useful is the chapter on super-telephoto lenses.  Under the focal lenses section it begins by providing the basics that if you have a full-frame sensor, anything less than 500mm is too short and anything longer than a 600mm is too long.  A 500mm lens is more ideal than a 600mm as well because it is only about four or five pounds lighter and allows for more mobility, therefore, less fatigue occurs to the photographer. 
There is the argument that a 600mm lens does come in handy for those far shots on a very tiny subject, but more often than not, photographers will find themselves with over magnified images.  The 500mm lens would be the most ideal for me if I was a professional photographer, being that I am the type that likes to go off trails and through rugged terrains.  They mention ways that you can save on these lenses, or actually cheat build them in a way.  To do this, you can combine either a 300mm or 400mm lens with 1.4X and 2X tele converters, but quality of an image will be compromised at comparable magnifications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment